guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 18:42:33 +0200

Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 05-05-2022 om 18:31 [+0200]:
> > I am not debating any legitimacy (<home-profile> is not some
> > government), I am discussing the reasons, and whether some of the
> > features (e.g. faster profile building) can be implemented more
> > generally (not Guix Home-exclusive), without manual configuration.
> I think you're misunderstanding cause and effect here.  For small n,
> O(n) = O(1).

I'm not sure what you mean here, what cause and what effect are you
referring to here?  And I'm not sure what the connection between ‘for
small n, O(n) = O(1)’ and the previous sentences is (I guess something
about profile building times and small profiles -> fast building, but I
don't see any connection to cause and effect ...)?

> If some reasons remain (e.g. tidyness of separated thematic
> profiles), _those_ reasons could be a good reason for <home-profile>
> or the like.  What I'd like to avoid, is avoiding extra complexity
> for the wrong reasons, and only adding it for the right reasons.
> To reiterate, the primary reason for using Guix Home to manage
> multiple profiles is so that we can manage multiple profiles in a
> declarative manner.

Multiple profiles can already be managed in a declarative manner: "guix
shell -m manifest.scm".  I'd say that Guix Home adds some impurity
(‘guix home reconfigure’ installs/removes/replaces some symlinks in
$HOME, which is a form of mutation).  Though maybe some people want to
keep all their manifests together and don't mind the little extra
mutation?

Greetings,
Maxime.