guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 18:33:22 +0200

Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 05-05-2022 om 18:24 [+0200]:

> > > This implication really only goes one way, i.e. separate profiles
> > > require separate manifests.  Not that you can't specify multiple
> > > manifests in one file, for instance, ...
> >
> > What I meant here, is that profiles correspond to manifests (1-1
> > relation), with the exception of "guix install".  And at least
> > currently, multiple manifests in a single file appears to be
> > unsupported?
> Manifests are scheme code, you can put as many of them into a file as
> you want.  For the interface to Guix commands you have to return one at
> a time, sure, but that's not the limitation you think it is.

Exactly: "guix shell" and the like (currently) only accept a single
manifest.  So at least currently (with the exception of "guix install")
and guix home, profiles correspond to manifests correspond to manifest
files.  And I'm not sure what limitation you are referring to? --
Technically, you can put multiple manifests in a single file, but
currently these extra manifests are meaningless, given that the current
CLI tools only support a single manifest at the time.

Greetigs,
Maxime.