guix-devel

Re: Updating mumi on berlin

From: Thiago Jung Bauermann
Subject: Re: Updating mumi on berlin
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 00:13:40 -0300

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> zimoun writes:
>
>> On Tue, 03 May 2022 at 17:42, Thiago Jung Bauermann <bauermann@kolabnow.com>
>> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Just an aside about public-inbox: Starting with version 0.7 it ships
>>> with a ‘lei’ tool that can be used to query a local or remote
>>> public-inbox repo, and export the matching messages to a maildir.
>>
>> Thanks.  Maybe I am missing something, “guix show public-inbox” tells
>> version 1.6.1 but I do not find ’lei’.  Anyway.
>
> Yes, Thiago must have meant to write 1.7, not 0.7.

Indeed, that's what I meant. Sorry about the confusion.

> I've tried sit down and update Guix's public-inbox definition a few
> times, but there are various test failures that I didn't figure out how
> to handle in the time I had.

Me too. What I did while I can't move this forward was install in a
separate Guix profile a local package definition of public-inbox with
tests disabled. Then I run lei with:

$ guix shell -p path/to/profile -- lei up --all

> (IIRC, I think they're related to the lei tests expecting to be able
> to kill the lei-daemon process, which isn't the case in Guix's build
> environment.)

Yes, that's what I'm seeing as well. The lei-daemon process is actually
killed, but because of bug 30948 it is left in a zombie state and so the
testsuite thinks that it didn't go away.

The testsuite checks whether lei-daemon is gone by doing a
“kill(<lei-daemon pid>, 0)”, which unfortunately succeeds for zombie processes.

I've been meaning to add child reaping to the Guix builder process, but
I'm moving very slowly due to time constraints and my unfamiliarity with
that part of Guix...

--
Thanks
Thiago