guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 20:21:18 +0200

zimoun schreef op wo 04-05-2022 om 20:14 [+0200]:
> Well, I miss two things: for one, ’guix shell’ creates a temporary
> profile and thus not protected from GC so it can be boring to create
> again and again the same profile depending on the frequency you are
> working on the project vs the frequency “guix gc” is run.  For two,
> ’guix shell’ does not guarantee the exact same profile depending if
> ’guix pull’ had been run in between.
>
> Therefore, many use cases seem around, no?

The second point is also the case when Guix Home is used.
And at least in some situations, "guix shell" makes GC roots --
guix/scripts/shell.scm has a comment

;; Attempt to compute a file name for use as the cached profile GC root.

.  Maybe not in a sufficient amount of situations though.

Greetings,
Maxime.