guix-devel

Re: Guix System on RockPro64

From: Tom Fitzhenry
Subject: Re: Guix System on RockPro64
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 22:34:23 +1000

On 4/5/22 04:53, Tobias Platen wrote:
I had a look at the guix page, there is a latest version image for the
PineBook Pro, which uses the same SoC.
The SoC is the same, but the PineBook Pro and RockPro64 have different u-boot bootloaders: u-boot-rockpro64-rk3399-bootloader and u-boot-pinebook-pro-rk3399-bootloader, both in gnu/bootloader/u-boot.scm .

I have attached the image config that I used to build a RockPro64 image last week. See below for my plans to upstream.

Unfortunately I was unable to
find the reciepe to build that image. The guix page is currently down,
I will try again tomorrow.

FWIW, the PineBook Pro image is at gnu/system/images/pinebook-pro.scm

Today I was able to install guix on top of
Debian which I have installed on my RockPro64.

That should be useful, to be able to build aarch64 images without having to do cross-compilation.

However, it's inconvenient that each aarch64 platform needs its own aarch64 image. To improve on this, I'm working on Tow-Boot[0] support for Guix. The result is that a single generic aarch64 image will work across all Tow-Boot supported devices[1], including the RockPro64.

0. https://tow-boot.org/
1. https://tow-boot.org/devices/index.html