guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 22:59:53 +0200

Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op di 03-05-2022 om 22:04 [+0200]:
> > > but the fact that they need to code up their own shell wrappers
> > > manage multiple profiles is not good optics imo.
> >
> > They don't have to code up shell wrappers or split profiles.  They
> > can just use a single profile.
> This sentence signals to me that you didn't think about this mail at
> all.  Consider that people may want to split their packages across
> small thematic profiles, but the current implementation of Guix
> hinders them in doing so.

I did think about this mail.  In particular, the parts about faster
union building.  So my response was about making profiles faster
without having to figure out how to split profiles -- neither manually
(see suggestion about automatic profile splitting) nor automatically
(see O(n²) vs. O(n lg n) union-build).

Until the previous mail, I have not seen anything about thematic
profiles, so I did not have thematic profiles in mind in my response.
Even then, I'm not sure what these thematic profiles are supposed to
solve that is not working around some underlying problem (e.g. slow
profile building times).

Greetings,
Maxime.