Re: GNU G-Golf 0.8.0-a.1 available for testing!

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: GNU G-Golf 0.8.0-a.1 available for testing!
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:18:08 -0700

On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 9:18 PM David Pirotte <david@altosw.be> wrote:
Hello Aleix,

Hi!
        I am sorry it took me so long to answer.

Not at all! :-)
> I was able to add g-golf to Guile Homebrew. So it now runs on macOS

> The changes are:
>
> - We need the full path of glib, gobject, etc.

Certainly not, never ever :) - This is a distro thing, Upstream gnu
tool chained pkg(s) should never ever do that.

> - The configure.ac patch fixes SITEDIR and SITECACHEDIR when
> --with-guile-site=no ...

No,
Exactly the opposite, that is, their setting is correct, both in
g-golf, guile-lib and guile-cv fwiw

        when a user does not configure passing the --with-guile-site=yes
        then _nothing_, nor the pkg scm modules, nor the .go files, nor
        any lib should be installed in the 'guile installed dirs'

I have checked again and you are absolutely right. My issue was something that only applies to Homebrew.

> - The Makefile.am patch places libg-golf in the Guile extensions
> directory $(libdir)/guile/$(GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION)/extensions,
> which I believe is the right thing to do.

        you mean the libg-golf/Makefile.am i guess

        [ and you probably don't mean
        [ $(libdir)/guile/$(GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION)/extensions
        [ but GUILE_EXTENSION (provided by guile.m4

I agree with you that when a g-golf user calls configure passing the
--with-guile-site=yes, then libg-golf could be installed in
GUILE_EXTENSION dir.

If not, then the current- g-golf setting is correct

Yes, not a big deal.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Best,

Aleix