gtick-devel

Re: [Gtick-devel] More terminology issues

From: Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen
Subject: Re: [Gtick-devel] More terminology issues
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 21:57:00 +0200

Roland Stigge skrev:
sorry for the delay.

I'll live. :)

Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen wrote:
Another term that has had me puzzled was the "sample file" in the error
message. Perhaps "sound file" could be used here? (Or just "file", as
"sound device" has just been mentioned?)

Is "sample" not comprehensible enough?

If it was, I wouldn't have been asking. ;) "Sample" to me, as a non-producer and non-native English speaker means "example" more than "piece of sound". AFAICT, the file is played in its entirety at each "tick"... ? Either way, saying "sound file" instead would make it (far) less ambiguous. (Also, not all musicians/people using a metronome are producer types, thus not necessarily being familiar with that use of "sample".)

I'm also not sure what is meant by "Sine"... the only thing my
dictionaries will provide for translation is the mathematical term,
which I'm not sure is the appropriate thing here. But maybe it is?

Yes, "Sine" makes a mathematical sine signal or a short timeframe at
each "tick".

Ah. Alright then. I guess that's one "#, fuzzy" that can be removed from the Danish translation. :)

--
Sincerely,
Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>