gtick-devel

Re: [Gtick-devel] Suggestion about tempo increase

From: Steven Ruppert
Subject: Re: [Gtick-devel] Suggestion about tempo increase
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:40:29 -0600

I think the best way to implement this would be something like gmpc does with plugins, because this seems like a feature not everyone wants by default. However, it'd probably be hard to program a plugin structure if there isn't one already in place.

GUI wise, I think there should be two sliders, one for tempo increase ( or the final tempo) and time increment (for each tempo increase). Tempo increase should be done in steps, because with a continuous increase, you'd never be practicing at a constant tempo. it'd be more like an accel.. Between each step a sound should be played before gtick switches tempo.

Another thing to consider is the time it takes to play at each tempo consistently. For instance, you might be able to increase the tempo from 90 to 100 and be able to play your song twice through to get it clean at 100, but from 100 to 110, it might take a few more run throughs. It might be better to have gtick increase the tempo automatically, but have _when_ it increases be controlled manually. You could have one slider for the GUI, to set either starting or ending tempo (or increase), and one more for tempo increase. Then, every time you press a key or a button, the tempo would increase by the desired amount until it reached the maximum.

--blendmaster

On 3/18/07, Roland Stigge <address@hidden> wrote:
Jocke wrote:
> Hello! I like GTick as it makes me able to train on specific songs
> faster and faster. It would be so nice if it could increase the tempo
> automatically so it went faster and faster. That would be good training.

This sounds a bit dangerous, because the purpose of a metronome is to
prevent certain players from increasing their tempo by accident. :-)
However, I'm open for suggestions how to implement it technically (in
steps, maybe announced, vs. continuous increase), and GUI-wise.

Thanks,

Roland