gtick-devel

Re: [Gtick-devel] feature request

From: Theo van Klaveren
Subject: Re: [Gtick-devel] feature request
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:34:54 +0100

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 14:56, Roland Stigge wrote:
> Theo van Klaveren wrote:
> >>  One other thing that would be nice is if the slider for bpm's could
> >> be restrained(confined?) to integers, instead of tenths.
> >> Unfortunately, the only programming I can do is on TI-83's BASIC
> >> language, so I can't be much help on coding anything. I hope these
> >> features get added soon!
> >
> > That's one thing that's been bugging me as well. Thenths of a
> > beat-per-minute isn't a really useful precision.
>
> Well... Tenths are even more precise than "ones"... :-) (And you can
> even adjust the number with the keyboard.)

Well, the question kind of is, are tenths of a bpm a useful precision?
As in, is there a significant enough difference between 141.1 bpm and
141.2 bpm that gtick should bother it's user with it? In my opinion it
isn't. BPMs are always specified in integer values, at least on the
sheet music I have here.

> For those used to less precision (integer only), should we add an option
> "Integer speed"?

I think an option would make this worse, not better. My suggestion is to
remove the tenths-of-a-bpm from the ui, but we could keep it in the
backend (options) so you could still manually enter it in .gtickrc if
you *really* *really* wanted to. Though this may again confuse things
(Q:when is 140 bpm not really 140 bpm? A:when it's 140.1 bpm in
.gtickrc)

See ya,
 - Theo