gtick-devel

[Gtick-devel] Set of GTick patches

From: Theo van Klaveren
Subject: [Gtick-devel] Set of GTick patches
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:41:28 +0100

Hi everyone,

First, let me quickly introduce myself. My name is Theo, I'm a CS
student in the Netherlands, and a beginning musician :) So far I've
found gtick a really useful tool and I'd like to contribute a bit of my
time to improve it a bit. I've created a set of patches against gtick in
an effort to get to know the codebase a bit. There are basically some
things I wanted to get done:

 - Improve the user interface:
    - Comply with the GNOME HIG better
    - Instant apply preferences
    - Change resizing behaviour. Only the visual tick expands
vertically.
 - Improve the general state of the code a bit by using glib utility
     functions since we're using glib anyway.

http://phoenix.student.utwente.nl/~klaveren/gtick-patches

These patches (screenshots included) go a long way there. Feel free to
review and please, tell me your comments! I hope you agree with the
general direction I've taken.

These patches do not really radically change anything (mostly
superficial). Some things I have in mind that may do so, however, are:

 - Incorporate the 'tapping' dialog into the main ui. I don't really
    see why this should be a separate dialog.
 - Create a sidebar-style vertical list for the beat accents. This
scales
    better I think, and also allows in the future for more than one
    accent level by not using checkboxes.

I thought that these could use some discussion before I get off and do
it.

Anyway, discussion guaranteed! :D

Kind regards,
 - Theo