gtick-devel

Re: [Gtick-devel] xscreensaver disabling

From: Roland Stigge
Subject: Re: [Gtick-devel] xscreensaver disabling
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:54:15 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 11:17, Tomas Znamenacek wrote:
> what do you think about GTick disabling xscreensaver while ticking?
> I would like to implement this, because I always forget to turn the
> xscreensaver off and as it starts to save the screen, GTick (at
> least on my machine, address@hidden/256M) pauses for a little while, ergo
> losing tempo.
>
> I thought we could call alarm(60) and in the SIGALRM handler do
> another alarm(60) call and pretend some X activity by calling
> "xscreensaver-command -deactivate".

IMHO this would be not general enough because everyone potentially uses
different means for screensavers. One way would be to implement an
option to start an arbitrary command at startup (?). But I think this
would rather be something for the FAQ, and people could use a
convenience startup script like

#!/bin/sh

xset -dpms s off
gtick

btw: The next version with the manual timer (tapping) will be ready
soon. Sorry for the delay.

bye,
  Roland