grub-devel

Re: Running bootstrap script fails on Debian unstable

From: Glenn Washburn
Subject: Re: Running bootstrap script fails on Debian unstable
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 12:10:28 -0600

On Tue, 21 Feb 2023 14:56:18 +0100
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Glenn!
>
> On Tue, 2023-02-21 at 10:58 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > > Do you have installed all the packages that are installed in that
> > > build log? Are you applying all the patches or just building from
> > > 2.06 git?
> >
> > Building from git, no patches applied. Will try openSUSE Tumbelweed
> > later today.
>
> Installing the pkg-config package fixes the problem. Will be testing
> now.

So sounds like the debian schroot doesn't add pkg-config by default.
I've checked and pkg-config is mentioned as required in the build
documentation. Is there something more you think we can do to avoid
this type of problem for others in the future?

Looking at bootstrap.conf it looks like it might be good to add a line
to the $buildreq variable with "pkg-config -". Would you recreate your
schroot which causes the failure (ie no pkg-config), then modify
bootstrap.conf and see if it fails with the messages "Error:
'pkg-config' not found" and "Please install the prerequisite programs"?
And then install pkg-config and verify that the bulid works as expected?

If all that works, could you send a patch to the list? (I can do it
also if you wish and add you as tested-by). I think this should prevent
this confusion in the future.

Glenn