grub-devel

Re: make check: grub-mkrescue fails missing unicode.pf2. Leftovers in /t

From: Glenn Washburn
Subject: Re: make check: grub-mkrescue fails missing unicode.pf2. Leftovers in /tmp
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 16:14:00 -0600

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 12:10:39 +0100
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i encountered some stumblestones after running "make check":

> I see in file ./test-suite.log :
>
>   FAIL: grub_func_test
>   ====================
>
>   xorriso 1.5.2 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.
>   xorriso : FAILURE : Cannot determine attributes of source file
> '[...]/unicode.pf2' : No such file or directory ...
>   ./grub-mkrescue: error: `xorriso` invocation failed
>   .
>   FAIL grub_func_test (exit status: 1)
>
> Instead of "[...]/" before "unicode.pf2" the log shows the absolute
> path of the local git repository of GRUB.
> I do not see a file unicode.pf2 anywhere in the repo tree after
> "make".
>
> I ran "make check" as ordinary user. But it would be strange if the
> existence of that file depends on superuser powers.

> The /tmp directory is full of "grub" directories, like:
>
>   drwx------ 2 thomas thomas      4096 Feb 10 09:54
> grub-shell.0DW38c5CQP
>
> They are mostly empty, except a few with sub-directory "netdir":
>
>   /tmp/grub-shell.OS3deKSNYs:
>   total 4
>   drwxr-xr-x 3 thomas thomas 4096 Feb 10 10:25 netdir
>
> and some with more content:
>
>   /tmp/grub-shell.wi7ZdDgpLf:
>   total 12
>   -rw-r--r-- 1 thomas thomas  347 Feb 10 10:25 grub.cfg
>   drwxr-xr-x 2 thomas thomas 4096 Feb 10 10:25 rom_directory
>   -rw-r--r-- 1 thomas thomas   20 Feb 10 10:25 testcase.cfg
>
> The timestamps of a group of data files in /tmp suggests that they
> stem from the "make check: run, too:
>
>   -rw-r--r-- 1 thomas thomas     17408 Feb 10 10:13 tmp.2XL4eFJ59j

Yes, I think these are made by some of the test scripts. I think these
should be better named (like "grub-tmp.TEST_NAME.XXXXXXX").

> (No .iso files are to see. I looked into /tmp after realizing that
> those would not appear in the repo but in /tmp.)

You can change the tmp used via the TMPDIR envvar. It would be nice for
the grub-shell script to cleanup these empty grub-shell.*
temporary directories. Although there are reasons not to cleanup them
up, like for debug purposes or not test error.

Glenn