Re: an.tmac with Japanese man page

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: an.tmac with Japanese man page
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 15:36:32 -0500

Hi Deri,

At 2023-04-30T21:21:11+0100, Deri wrote:
> When viewing Japanese man pages it used to be necessary to pass the
> flag -f setting the default font family to a Japanese font which
> affected both the body of a man page and the headings, in bold, when
> viewing the grops output of a japanese man page. In 1.23.0-rc4 this no
> longer works, for headings, you have to set the HF register to the
> Japanese bold font.

Uh-oh.

> It seems that an.tmac sets the font family to T (for headings), even
> if the user has changed the default family with the -f flag. Should I
> open a savannah issue, or is this change in behaviour intended?

Yes, please file a ticket about this.  I'll have to save the font family
that is in effect when the macro package loads[1] and restore that,
rather than assuming Times.  (We had had a problem where if the family
got changed by a man page, it might never get restored, so a rogue page
could cause the same issue you documented above.)  One of many shakeouts
from supporting the serial processing of dozens or hundreds of man pages
in one go.

Thanks for catching this.

[1] This setting will need to be "stickier" than most, because
    andoc.tmac will reload an.tmac if multiple man pages are formatted
    in the sequence man(7) -> mdoc(7) -> man(7).