Re: Inter-paragraph separation modified by HP

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Inter-paragraph separation modified by HP
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:16:04 -0500

Hi Alex,

At 2023-04-29T21:02:52+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> I was checking some warning about using HP.  It happens in uri.7.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the macro.  From visual inspection, it's
> creating inter-paragraph spacing, but from the documentation I'd
> say it should only affect horizontal space, right?

The purpose of the macro is to create a hanging indent.  To illustrate,
     I'll format this very paragraph with a hanging indentation.  You
     can see that lines after the first are indented, but the first is
     not.  But it is still a paragraph, so inter-paragraph space
     precedes it.

> It's being called as '.HP 0.2i'.  I replaced those .HP calls by .PP
> to see the difference, and I don't see anything noticeable in
> horizontal spacing, but see a considerable difference in the
> vertical spacing.

I'm not seeing a difference in vertical space among the 3 PDF exhibits.

Each BNF declaration gets a paragraph.  The break for "scheme" happens
way too early, but that too is consistent among the 3 PDF exhibits.

> It's used in the synopsis; it should be easy to distinguish.
>
> Is that some 1.23.0 regression maybe?
>
> In fact, after formatting with /usr/bin/groff (the old 1.22.4), I
> don't see the effects of 1.23.0, so it's a regression.  Is it known?

Could you maybe take a screenshot and mark up the thing I'm supposed to
be seeing with a big red arrow or something?

> Attached you can see some PDFs of the page:
>
> uri.7.pdf
>       Original uri.7, formatted with groff-1.23.0
>
> uri_PP.7.pdf
>       I edited the original uri.7 to use PP instead of HP,
>       and formatted with groff-1.23.0.
>
> uri_old.pdf
>       Original uri.7, formatted with groff-1.22.4.

None of them look erroneous to me.