Re: [tbl] Setting the widths of the columns

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [tbl] Setting the widths of the columns
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:26:57 +0100

Hi Branden,

> Per tbl(1) from groff 1.23.0:
>
>   Column modifiers

>     Any number of modifiers can follow a column classifier.
>     Arguments to modifiers, where accepted, are case‐sensitive.
>     If the same modifier is applied to a column specifier more than once,
>     or if conflicting modifiers are applied,
>     only the last occurrence has effect.
>     The modifier x is mutually exclusive with e and w,
>     but e is not mutually exclusive with w;
>     if these are used in combination, x unsets both e and w,
>     while either e or w overrides x.

The above is unclear to me.

It starts with a clear rule: last one wins a conflict.

    If the same modifier is applied to a column specifier more than once,
    or if conflicting modifiers are applied,
    only the last occurrence has effect.

Does ‘mutually exclusive’ below mean it is an error to give xew?
Are xe and xw also an error?  Or does ‘mutually exclusive’ mean
conflicts as used above?  If so, it should stick to the same term
for clarity.

    The modifier x is mutually exclusive with e and w,

This next bit is only needed to clear up the ‘e and w’.

    but e is not mutually exclusive with w;

And then this is repeating the ‘last one wins a conflict’ rule AFAICS.
But it shouldn't be needed.

    if these are used in combination,
    x unsets both e and w, while either e or w overrides x.

Or is it trying to tell me that xe has x win as an exception to the
earlier rule?  As someone trying to learn, there are multiple
interpretations.

I think it gets simpler if it begins with

    The x modifier conflicts with e and with w.

and as much as can be inferred, stripped.

--
Cheers, Ralph.