Re: groff injects blank page

From: Carlos
Subject: Re: groff injects blank page
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 14:34:27 -0400

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:37:29AM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2023-04-27T11:06:20-0400, Carlos wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 05:24:00PM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > mso is a request, and it is documented in groff(7) like other
> > > requests.
> > >
> > > I might have time to follow up on the rest later, but I will note
> > > briefly that "Ignored because insecure." does not sound like
> > > language I recognize from any groff release.  It sounds exactly like
> > > mandoc(1) documentation--specifically the mandoc_roff(7) page.
> > > mandoc is a separate project and groff developers have no
> > > responsibility for it.
> >
> > You're correct. Amazing
>
> I can think of some other people who are amazed when I'm right...
>
> [snip]
> > and mandoc is also the formatting part of groff
>
> No.  It is a completely independent software project with only slightly
> overlapping goals.
>
> > or else running groff would be useless,
>
> I suppose some mandoc(1) advocates regard groff as useless if they never
> have any need for typesetting.  Or they use a TeX distribution, or
> Lout...or FrameMaker...
>
> > am I wrong? correct me if so.  I'm a bit tired.
>
> The history of typesetting software on Unix is lengthy.  When groff
> 1.23.0 is released, a history I thoroughly revised and updated will be
> available in the roff(7) man page.
>
> > And on groff(7)
> >
> >        .mso file The same as .so except that file is searched in the tmac
> >                  directories.
> >
> > and therein lies the problem without a kludge
> > .mso never loads man.local producing the unwanted blank page
> > .mso never loads man.local producing the unwanted blank page
> > , .do does instead on 1.22.4 without injecting that blank page
>
> I don't understand your complaint.  Also, do you mean ".do" or ".so"?
> Each is a distinctly meaningful request to groff(1).

No complaint except a blank page for no reason

man.local.

       .so filename
                 Include source file.
       .mso file The same as .so except that file is searched in the tmac
                 directories.

> Did you ever grep your man.local file for blank lines as I suggested?

I guess you'd be right but that's clearly a tangent where the problem lies

So let's make sure that man.local is not shipped out with a newline.
I checked 1.23 and it's not there.

I just checked it and is not there.

--
Innovation has nothing to do with how many R&D dollars you have. When Apple
came up with the Mac, IBM was spending at least 100 times more on R&D. It's not