Re: groff injects blank page

From: Carlos
Subject: Re: groff injects blank page
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 11:06:20 -0400

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 05:24:00PM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> At 2023-04-24T11:17:08-0400, Carlos wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 12:44:38AM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > The `cR` register is documented in groff_man(7).  The `ps4html`
> > > register is...not documented.  :-|
> >
> > Thank you for advising me against this
> >
> > And by the looks of it, neither is mso. And this is important. Very
> > important.
>
> mso is a request, and it is documented in groff(7) like other requests.
>
> I might have time to follow up on the rest later, but I will note
> briefly that "Ignored because insecure." does not sound like language I
> recognize from any groff release.  It sounds exactly like mandoc(1)
> documentation--specifically the mandoc_roff(7) page.  mandoc is a
> separate project and groff developers have no responsibility for it.

You're correct. Amazing

HISTORY
     The RUNOFF typesetting system, whose input forms the basis for roff, was
     written in MAD and FAP for the CTSS operating system by Jerome E.
     Saltzer in 1964.  Doug McIlroy rewrote it in BCPL in 1969, renaming it
     roff.  Dennis M. Ritchie rewrote McIlroy's roff in PDP-11 assembly for
     Version 1 AT&T UNIX, Joseph F. Ossanna improved roff and renamed it nroff
     for Version 2 AT&T UNIX, then ported nroff to C as troff, which Brian W.
     Kernighan released with Version 7 AT&T UNIX.  In 1989, James Clark re-
     implemented troff in C++, naming it groff.

and mandoc is also the formatting part of groff or else running groff
would be useless, am I wrong? correct me if so. I'm a bit tired.

And on groff(7)

       .mso file The same as .so except that file is searched in the tmac
                 directories.

and therein lies the problem without a kludge
.mso never loads man.local producing the unwanted blank page
.mso never loads man.local producing the unwanted blank page
, .do does instead on 1.22.4 without injecting that blank page

> (We have one contributor, Ingo Schwarze, who is the mandoc project
> lead.)

hello Ingo

> Please take this fact into account when developing your conclusions.
>
> Regards,
> Branden

take care Branden

--
A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.