Re: Warn on semantic newlines

From: Bjarni Ingi Gislason
Subject: Re: Warn on semantic newlines
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 01:40:15 +0000

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 11:52:30AM +0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi, Ingo and Branden!
>
> As far as I know, there's currently no tool that warns on "foo. bar" in
> filled test.  Not `mandoc -Tlint`, and not `groff -ww`, and not `groff
> -rCHECKSTYLE=999`.  I know that CHECKSTYLE is not designed in a way that
> could catch this easily, but maybe -ww or -Tlint could.  Do you think you
> could add some semantic newlines warnings so that writers could realize by
> themselves that their text could be improved?
>
> The tool could have a secondary warning, not so important, for "foo, bar".
>
> Also, as far as I know, neither of -ww nor -Tlint have something equivalent
> to -Wno-switch (or -Wno-error=switch), which could be nice to silence (or
> make non-fatal) some warnings on purpose.  Do you think that could be
> implemented in groff(1) or mandoc(1)?

[...]

  "groff" is not the right tool for such things, but "grep" is.

  The attachment contains a shell script that tests various cases of
defects in man pages.

  It can test for just one or few cases or all of them.

  For example create a file with

foo. bar
foo.  bar
foo.  Bar
foo. Bar

  or more examples

and run

<name of script> all <file>

  Later you can use the reported test numbers to just run those tests.

  The script can (still) produce a lot of wrong positive results.