From: Douglas McIlroy
Subject: > Re: [mom] Extraneous empty line that starts a new page
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 10:05:14 -0400

> $ ./build/test-groff -Tutf8
.> nr a 3c
> .nr b 3cm
> .tm a=\na, b=\nb
> a=283, b=283

> This suggests that one could get away with "3in" as well.  Yeesh.  Not
 > sure how I feel about that.  I think I'd prefer to have Yet Another
> Warning Diagnostic for non-pristine input syntax.

Beware of the infamous Postel principle, which has enabled many hacker
exploits and was embraced by the original definition of HTML: Be
conservative in what you write and liberal in what you accept. With
every browser having its own liberal idea, authors wrote HTML in local
cocoons, making HTMLdocuments hideously fragile. Ironically, Postel's
bad advice has been called the "robustness principle".

In the interest of portability, I would make this a hard error, though
not necessarily one that stops groff in its tracks. We might parlay
this to a wider discussion later.

Doug