Re: groff-1.23.0.rc4 - no ./configure?

From: Carlos
Subject: Re: groff-1.23.0.rc4 - no ./configure?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:30:10 -0400

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 08:15:06AM +0200, Oliver Corff wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> thank you for directing me to the documentation buried in the two
> INSTALL.* files.
>
> May I suggest that the information along the way of obtaining the
> tarball may be augmented?
>
> My steps were:
>
> 1. I went to https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/#downloading
>
> There the text reads: The development version is available from groff's
> git repository <https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=groff>. Read the
> INSTALL.extra and INSTALL.REPO files within for build requirements and
> instructions.
>
> Which reconfirms your point, but
>
> 2. I went to the repository: https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=groff
>
> It says: Browse Sources Repository
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git

Yes. It is sort of confusing.  A few days ago I ended up  in
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/groff/

which provided tarballs but I wasn't interested in the same version I've
been running so I ended up going directly to savannah and got the latest
one from there

https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=groff

So at least, that section in the savannah subdomain was correct in
giving out the right informatino

> 3. I saw a list of tar.gz files, with the lates development version on
> top. So I downloaded that and unpacked it locally.
>
> 4. Only then I saw the two INSTALL.* files and the instructions, but
> executing ./bootstrap just resulted in
>
> 5. fatal: not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /)

That's usually a call directly from git though.

> You may consider me being naive --- why do I stumble at things which are
> "taken for granted"?

Not really. Not at all. One simple interference with whatever we happen
be reading at the time, which in this case seemed to be the information
about getting groff sources and so forth,  is more than enough, to throw our
train of thoughts off completely .

To top it off, it seems the website is using cvs while savannah is using
cgit. A constant back-and-forth between these two interfaces.

Besides. If you hadn't stumbled upon this inconsistency (if you want
to call it by that name), who would have? I can almost guarantee
you, it wouldn't have been me

> Is it possible to insert a phrase somewhere either in
> https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/#downloading or in
> https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=groff that these tarballs cannot be
> used as is, but must be treated differently?
>
> And, is it possible to put the information that these unpacked archives
> cannot be used directly at the top of the INSTALL files?
>
> Looking at a list of source tarballs and *thinking* they can be
> downloaded, unpacked, configured and compiled is just enough off target.
> It seems I miss the necessary threshold knowledge here.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Oliver.

take care Oliver.

--
We are preparing to think about contemplating preliminary work on plans to
develop a schedule for producing the 10th Edition of the Unix Programmers