Re: groff-1.23.0.rc4 - no ./configure?

From: Carlos
Subject: Re: groff-1.23.0.rc4 - no ./configure?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 17:54:13 -0400

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 10:40:23PM +0200, Oliver Corff wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I went to https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git today to download
> the rc4 tarball groff-1.23.0.rc4.tar.gz and unpacked the archive.
>
> How do I configure the makefile? I fail to see a ./configure script.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Oliver.
>
> --
> Dr. Oliver Corff
> Mail: oliver.corff@email.de

Hello Oliver. The following is directly from INSTALL.REPO

Once dependencies are met of course.

Bootstrapping from a Git checkout
---------------------------------

Invoke the bootstrap script.

    $ ./bootstrap

What bootstrapping does
-----------------------

The foregoing procedure will do two things:

  - clone the gnulib repository as a Git submodule in 'gnulib', add the
    needed gnulib source files in 'lib' as well as required gnulib m4
    macros in 'gnulib_m4'; and

  - invoke 'autoreconf', which will call the GNU Autotools ('aclocal',
    'autoconf', 'automake') in the right order to create the following
    files.

    -- INSTALL (a symlink to gnulib's INSTALL file)
    -- Makefile.in
    -- aclocal.m4
    -- autom4te.cache/
    -- build-aux/ (which contains all the helper scripts)
    -- configure
    -- src/include/config.hin

'aclocal.m4' is a generated file; groff's m4 macros are included via the
'acinclude.m4' file.

Building
--------

You can now invoke the 'configure' script.  It produces the
'config.status' script, which generates the Makefile.  Then call 'make'
to build the groff project.  You can do these from the source tree.

    $ ./configure
    $ make # run with -j option if desired

You can alternatively build groff outside of its source tree, which is
cleaner, leaving fewer files to confuse 'git status' if you aim to
undertake development.

    $ mkdir build
    $ cd build
    $ ../configure
    $ make # run with -j option if desired

A separate build tree need not be a subdirectory of the source.

Evaluation

Several dozen sanity checks can be performed within the build tree.

    $ make check # run with -j option if desired

Installation

When the build is finished you can install the groff build artifacts.

    $ make install install-doc # run with 'sudo' if necessary

--
This login session: $13.76, but for you $11.88.