Re: groff 1.23.0.rc4 available for testing

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: groff 1.23.0.rc4 available for testing
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 11:18:32 -0500

I encountered only one tiny issue: PROBLEMS has an item titled "I get
warnings about special characters in the groff_char(7) man page" that
includes sample warnings that don't match the warnings troff currently
generates.

I noticed this because when the build threw those warnings, the first
thing I did was search PROBLEMS for the warning text to see if it was
a known problem (which I was 99% sure it was; this is not my first
groff-building rodeo), which of course didn't work with the text
having changed.

PROBLEMS shows example warnings worded this way:

troff:man/groff_char.7:1000: warning: can't find special character '.j'

My build generated warnings worded like this:

troff: backtrace: file 'man/groff_char.7':1033
troff:man/groff_char.7:1033: warning: special character '.j' not defined

The line numbers needn't match, but the warning text should,
especially the part that's a likely search string (I at first used
"warning: special character").  Luckily this requires only a very
small change to a documentation file.