Re: Terminal problem? man formatting problem?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Terminal problem? man formatting problem?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 12:02:30 +0100

Hi Branden,

I also recommend xterm(1) when needing to test how a terminal should
behave.

> GNU/Linux has over time grown a long list of terminal emulators with
> flashy features like background pixmaps and alpha blending that also
> fail pretty horribly at faithful emulation of terminal behavior as
> soon as any ECMA-48 feature not used by the handful of applications
> the emulator author personally runs is exercised.

Many other terminal emulators use
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Terminal/VTE to implement the terminal side.
This can often be seen in package dependencies or ldd(1)'s output.

Oliver, I suggest you simplify the test by cutting troff out of the loop.
Have a text file containing URLs with various surroundings.  cat it to
the terminal so no program is interrupting its rendering to the TTY and
thus the terminal emulator.  Then attempt to open links.

Be aware that there can be other limits which stop a URL being
recognised by a terminal, e.g. overall length.  This is to avoid
spending too much time looking for URLs.

--
Cheers, Ralph.