Re: Questions concerning hyphenation patterns for non-Latin languages, e

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Questions concerning hyphenation patterns for non-Latin languages, e.g. Russian
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 20:25:33 -0500

Hi Oliver,

At 2023-04-23T22:05:42+0200, Oliver Corff wrote:
> the recent experiments with Cyrillic-capable fonts encourage me to
> continue my experiments.
>
> I made a little test file for Russian (russ.ms) which runs smoothly
> with
>
> $ groff -k -ms russ.ms > russ.ps
> $ ps2pdf russ.ps
>
> Direct compilation with -Tpdf would generate a pdf file > 1 MB, hence
> the ps2pdf step.
>
> This setup is without any Russian hyphenation patterns, so the long
> words (between 25 and 3x characters) in the first section will not get
> hyphenated. Astonishingly enough, even in two column mode without any
> hyphenation the Russian text looks quite acceptable.
>
> Now I am considering modifying an existing TeX hyphenation file for
> groff use.

Wait!  Before you do that, check out the post-1.23.0 branch in groff
Git, where this has already been done!

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/?h=post-1.23.0

We also have Spanish localization on the cooker for groff-next.

I've personally quit doing work on the post-1.23.0 branch because I
keep revising my own changes.  I have a "private branch" that I make
public, but clobber and replace it every week or two since our Git repo
is apparently not configured to let me force-push like a GitHub feature
branch.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/log/?h=branden-2023-04-20

I discourage people from committing to this branch--that's why it
starts with my name--but I welcome code reviews and critique, or I
wouldn't make it public at all.  Its README.branch file says more.

13 bug fixes are available in the branch; they will have to await the
reopening of master for non-documentation changes after groff 1.23.0 is
finalized--unless Bertrand elects to cherry-pick some, or directs me to.

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?go_report=Apply&group=groff&func=browse&set=custom&msort=0&report_id=225&advsrch=0&bug_id=&summary=&submitted_by=0&resolution_id=10&assigned_to=0&bug_group_id=0&status_id=1&severity=0&category_id=0&plan_release_id=0&history_search=0&history_field=0&history_event=modified&history_date_dayfd=24&history_date_monthfd=4&history_date_yearfd=2023&chunksz=50&spamscore=5&boxoptionwanted=1#options

(Unfortunately, Savannah is resistant to bite-sized URLs.)