Questions concerning hyphenation patterns for non-Latin languages, e.g.

From: Oliver Corff
Subject: Questions concerning hyphenation patterns for non-Latin languages, e.g. Russian
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 22:05:42 +0200

Dear all,

the recent experiments with Cyrillic-capable fonts encourage me to
continue my experiments.

I made a little test file for Russian (russ.ms) which runs smoothly with

$ groff -k -ms russ.ms > russ.ps
$ ps2pdf russ.ps

Direct compilation with -Tpdf would generate a pdf file > 1 MB, hence
the ps2pdf step.

This setup is without any Russian hyphenation patterns, so the long
words (between 25 and 3x characters) in the first section will not get
hyphenated. Astonishingly enough, even in two column mode without any
hyphenation the Russian text looks quite acceptable.

Now I am considering modifying an existing TeX hyphenation file for
groff use.

Since the original input of my file is UTF8 which is translated by
preconv(1) into \[uxxxx] notation, I wonder what a suitable notation in
the hyphenation file should be.

I tried ^^^^xxxx but the hyphenation file parser does not seem to
recognize this notation. Also, \[uxxxx] is ignored.

Or can I "translate" Cyrillic codepoints via a list of .hcode
substitutions to something the hyphenation mechanism can work with?

Thank you very much for your hints and suggestions,

Oliver.

--
Dr. Oliver Corff
Mail: oliver.corff@email.de