Re: groff injects blank page

From: Carlos
Subject: Re: groff injects blank page
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 11:38:39 -0400

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 04:33:52PM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> At 2023-04-22T16:46:00-0400, Carlos wrote:
> > >
> > > For a guy who likes manually constructing pipelines, Ralph seems
> > > inordinately disinterested in the intermediate stages when
> > > troubleshooting.  ;-)
> > >
> > > Unfortunately the PostScript output you've been sharing is not terribly
> > > helpful; please hold off for now.  Your "nroff -man | cat -n" output is
> > > the most telling clue we have so far, in my opinion.
> >
> > Sure. But no one's sure of the cause of the blank page.
> >
> > If you had to guess, what would it be?
>
> At present my guess is a loose blank line in your /etc/groff/man.local.

Tsk tsk tsk. Branden Branden.

Did you say open sesame. In spanish ‹Ábrete sésamo›? It takes some
effort but it works ;)

This is it:

.\" We must use consecutive page numbers when using PostScript to
.\" generate HTML images, and we must not reset the page number at the
.\" beginning (the 'ps4html' register is automatically added to the
.\" command line by the pre-HTML preprocessor).
.if !r ps4html \
.  if r P .pn 0\n[P]
.if !r cR \{\
.  ie n .nr cR 1
.  el   .nr cR 1
.\}

Quite honestly,  I don't understand much of the macros initials, but
I had checked andoc.man and it made no sense to keep looking there
for `.TH`. `TH` was the issue, but what else was there, if It was an
iteration  over and over and over

So I thought: perhaps an-old.tmac would give me some clues, so I went
there, and cR looked like a candidate,  a nd I just modified the values
from 0 to 1 and it worked :) But it turns out: it's a register!!!

Ignorance is bliss. I tell you. A register with different values that caught my
attention. That's funny :)

I thought of locales in the very beginning and after reading man roff
but wasn't quite sure this was the shortcut to take.

Besides, Version 1.23 compiled fine and produced the page/s without the blank
page
why would locales be a problem, I thought.

But what this confirms in a way, to a certain extent, is that the output from
what the tty showed at first, correlates with this behavior. I think.

On the other spare system I have, all the files from the tmac dir are
the same as the ones on Alpine. And an-old.tmac there, odviously shows the
two values originally as CR 1 and CR 0 and it never produced an extra blank page
either, whereas with this system  under Alpine,  it does. Except version
1.23 of course.

Thank you Branden. I appreciate it.

--
I am NOMAD!