Re: A new ignoramus question about user-installed fonts

From: Oliver Corff
Subject: Re: A new ignoramus question about user-installed fonts
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 20:13:14 +0200

Hi Branden,

thank you very much for your encouraging feedback.

Indeed I did neither mention nor note in the example file (multitest.ms
--- I thought the .ms in the file name tells the story) that I use
groff_ms(7) as it is really at a sweet spot between simplicity of use
and aesthetics of produced document.

I remember I had used the .fam request before, at the very beginning of
a document, which always produced the desired result: the *entire*
document is typeset in the selected family.

However, since this time I used .fam for the first time somewhere within
the document, I first failed to understand that, in this case, its scope
is limited to the current paragraph. This is a tentative statement from
my side, I should really test which of the .LP, .PP, .SH, .NH etc.
requests will end the effect of the .fam request.

After reading your mail, I tried again to start the whole document with
the .fam Libertine request, et voilà, the whole document is typeset in
the chosen font family.

In the meantime, I tried to typeset several pages of Chinese, but alas,
there were quite a few blank positions in the text, and I assume that at
the current state the limitations in the number of characters (message
by GhostScript: Can't embed the complete font DFSongStd as it is too
large, embedding a subset.) will work for texts which contain snippets
of Chinese, e.g. scholarly articles with Chinese references (words,
proper names, literature). I'll write a test which increments the number
of different Chinese characters used in one document and tests the
threshold which triggers the above-mentioned message.

Thank you very much for the hint regarding .fam,

Best regards,

Oliver.