Re: groff 1.23.0.rc4 on Solaris 11 OpenIndiana

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: groff 1.23.0.rc4 on Solaris 11 OpenIndiana
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 13:01:12 -0500

[Dropped Bruno Haible from cc, as I don't think anything below is of
interest to him.]

On 4/20/23, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the other hand, both will be harder to understand;

As they should be!  This is the very reason Real Programmers never
comment their code!

> the second relies upon a GNU troff extension;

True, but hardly the only one in pdfpic.tmac.  And like long names,
.shift, and .break (three groffisms I noticed at first glance), \R is
also implemented in at least Heirloom.

> and my engineering instincts desire a general solution to the problem,
> hence <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?64071>.

That'd be best, but seems further off, whereas a sed tweak to emit a
single line of two \R escapes (I never use this feature, so I had
actually forgotten it existed) is simple enough to, if not make it
into 1.23 itself, at least be in a 1.23.1 minor release, if such a
thing happens.