Re: Definitely positive font installation experience, but not without ca

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Definitely positive font installation experience, but not without caveats
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 16:41:14 +0100

On Friday, 21 April 2023 15:44:17 BST Oliver Corff wrote:
> I noticed a bit of latency while compiling *and* while displaying the
> result --- so very untypical of groff.
>
> When I wanted to attach the pdf result, I understood, why. The pdf file
> is a whopping 25745276 bytes big.
>
> The resulting pdf file contains one huge "stream" object approx. 100,000
> lines long. I think this is the CJK glyph data.
>
> Does groff have any concept of storing only those glyph shapes in the
> target file which are really required by the document?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Oliver.

Hi Oliver,

This is called "font subsetting". Gropdf does not do that at the moment so the
size can be substantially reduced by running the pdf through ghostscript's
ps2pdf, if the pdf contains large embedded fonts. I say "at the moment", watch
this space, but it won't be in the upcoming 1.23.0.

Cheers

Deri