Re: groff 1.23.0.rc4 on Solaris 11 OpenIndiana

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: groff 1.23.0.rc4 on Solaris 11 OpenIndiana
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:14:04 -0500

On 4/19/23, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> We still won't be able to support Solaris sed, in either its /usr/bin or
> /usr/xpg4/bin forms.  Unless we change the way GNU troff processes `sy`
> arguments, we will forever need a non-standard extension to sed(1) to
> pull of this sort of tomfoolery.

It depends on how tomfoolish you want to get.  It should be possible
to get the same results -- at the cost of either an additional temp
file, or an additional call to "pdfinfo" -- by invoking sed twice,
once to extract each parameter.

I don't see much need to worry about Solaris 10 or old macOSes.  And
even Solaris 11 isn't urgent, since this pipeline hasn't worked there
since it was introduced.  But if the need for two lines in
pdfpic*temporary-file, which can't be output portably by a single sed
invocation, is the only tomfoolery blocking Solaris 11, it seems like
fixing that gives you the other two for free.