Re: 1.23.0rc4 .sp and .bp backward compatibility issues

From: Deri
Subject: Re: 1.23.0rc4 .sp and .bp backward compatibility issues
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 18:50:11 +0100

On Monday, 17 April 2023 10:40:15 BST G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi Michał,
>
> At 2023-04-17T09:02:15+0000, Michał Kruszewski via wrote:
> > Hi Branden,
> >
> > I have tried 1.23.0rc4 and it still has backward compatibility issues
> > with .sp and .bp I have described some time ago.
> >
> > Is it intended?
>
> Semi-intended.  After a certain date in March, our maintainer preferred
> not to take anything more disruptive than documentation changes for the
> next release candidate (now out as RC4).  (I understand that
> decision--bugs are never better at creeping in than when you are trying
> to stabilize a code base for release.  "Just this one more fix!" draws
> software defects like cats to the sound of a tuna can opening.)
>
> I have a fix for the `bp` request on a Git branch.[1]  I cannot say at
> this point whether it will get into groff 1.23.0 final--it's not solely
> my call.

Hi Branden,

I have noticed our own documentation appears to have suffered a spacing
regression (not sure if it is the same cause). The ms.ps document is 27 pages
long whereas it should be 28, the author (partially you) intended section 8 to
start on a new page if run under troff:-

.if t \{\
.  br
.  bp
.\}