Re: groff 1.23.0.rc4 on FreeBSD

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: groff 1.23.0.rc4 on FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 17:58:07 -0500

Hi Bruno,

At 2023-04-16T00:55:28+0200, Bruno Haible wrote:
> On FreeBSD 13.1, I see the same 1 test failure as reported in
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2023-03/msg00009.html :
>
> FAIL: contrib/gdiffmk/tests/runtests.sh

We've documented this one in our PROBLEMS file also.

--snip--
* gdiffmk doesn't work on FreeBSD; I get errors from "expr".

gdiffmk uses the expr(1) command to parse its arguments.  FreeBSD has
extended the syntax of its expr command in a non-backward compatible way
that it claims better conforms with POSIX's utility syntax guidelines
with respect to option processing: however, POSIX mandates no options
for expr.  Other implementations of expr do not support traditional
Unix-style options ('-a', '-b', ...), and perhaps as a consequence do
not follow FreeBSD's interpretation of the guidelines.  You way want to
set $EXPR_COMPAT in your shell environment.  We hope to have a
workaround for this behavior in a future release.
--end snip--

Maybe I should add this to the release announcement "Caveats" as well?