Newbie question - Indents and paragraph filling

From: Ben
Subject: Newbie question - Indents and paragraph filling
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 14:38:56 +0200

Hi

I am by no means an experienced user of groff. I thought I would give it a
go as it may be useful for setting exams and test papers in my classroom.
The exam class in latex is amazing but I am looking for greater control
over what is happening on the page. I love the simplicity of unix and groff
and was hoping to ask for some help with a macro which I could use for
setting questions.

I was looking to insert a question Num and then without a break indent the
question text. Similar to the IP command with a bullet, however, I wish to
append an additional mark allocation to the end of this body text also
without a break. See screenshot below.
I have played around with page offset and line length. I also attempted to
build an \hfill(latex like) macro which was way above my level of skill. I
am starting to get my head around breaks and new lines of input and output
but I am missing a key piece.

I see it as something like this.

   1.  print a question number , do not break (eg 1. or 1) perhaps use a
   'br or \c to enforce this non break
   2. adjust margin using the .in +0.5i command or the .po and .ll command
   3. fill text within these margins, do not break, kinda like a block quote
   4. Adjust margin back, do not break, another \c or 'br
   5. Append mark allocation (12 marks)
   6. end macro

Any help would be much appreciated. I would prefer ..read x part of the
Ffing manual more carefully rather than paste in code I do not really
understand.
So pointers to sources to read or inaccuracies in my thinking would also be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Ben