Re: Compressed man pages (was: Accessibility of man pages (was: Playgrou

From: Kerin Millar
Subject: Re: Compressed man pages (was: Accessibility of man pages (was: Playground pager lsp(1)))
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 14:04:51 +0100

On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:13:13 +0100
Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > 37
> > 10.90
> > $ /bin/time -f %e dash -c "find $MANPATH -type f | xargs bzgrep -l
> > RLIMIT_NOFILE | wc -l"
> > 17
> > 1.33
> > $ /bin/time -f %e dash -c "find $MANPATH -type f | xargs -P0 bzgrep -l
> > RLIMIT_NOFILE | wc -l"
> > 17
> > 1.31
> > $ /bin/time -f %e dash -c "find $MANPATH -type f | while read f; do bzcat
> > \$f | grep -l RLIMIT_NOFILE >/dev/null && echo \$f; done | wc -l"
> > 17
> > 1.21
> > $ /bin/time -f %e dash -c "find $MANPATH -type f | while read f; do bzip2
> > -d - <\$f | grep -l RLIMIT_NOFILE >/dev/null && echo \$f; done | wc -l"
> > 17
> > 1.22
> >

> > $ export MANPATH=/opt/local/man/man/share/man
> > $ /bin/time -f %e dash -c "man -Kaw RLIMIT_NOFILE | wc -l"
> > 37
> > 0.56
> > $ /bin/time -f %e dash -c "find $MANPATH -type f | xargs grep -l
> > RLIMIT_NOFILE | wc -l"
> > 17
> > 0.01
> > $ /bin/time -f %e dash -c "find $MANPATH -type f | xargs -P0 grep -l
> > RLIMIT_NOFILE | wc -l"
> > 17
> > 0.01
> >
> > Weird thing: today, the symlink bug in man(1) was reproducible in
> > all kinds of pages, while yesterday it only reproduced in
> > uncompressed ones.
> >
> > Another weird thing: times today changed considerably for the
> > find(1) pipelines (half of yesterday's).  It's not a thing of
> > using dash(1), because I get similar times with bash(1) and its
> > builtin time(1).
> >
> > Important note: Sam, are you sure you want your pages compressed
> > with bz2?  Have you seen the 10 seconds it takes man-db's man(1) to
> > find a word in the pages?  I suggest that at least you try to
> > reproduce these tests in your machine, and see if it's just me or
> > man-db's man(1) is pretty bad at non-gz pages.
> >
> > Test results:
> >
> > -  man-db's man(1) is slower with plain man(7) source than with .gz
> >    pages for some misterious reason.
> >
> > -  man-db's man(1) is turtle slow with .bz2 pages.
>
> I started looking into changing to xz (or just.. not bz2, anyway),
> partially motivated by https://gitlab.com/man-db/man-db/-/issues/4 /
> just interest locally (without having done measurements to see if it
> would be worth a global change) and the xz maintainer ended up
> recommending a different implementation to how man-db currently handles
> external utilties entirely (which I have a draft of).
>
> The xz author had some suggestions on the best parameters to use
> for man pages too which I need to look into and dig up...
>
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/169260 was an interesting discussion
> about our choice of bz2 (it came up a bit in

Oh, I remember this. Soon after #372653 was closed, I experimented further and
found xz --lzma2=preset=6e,pb=0 to be more effective than bzip -9, both in
terms of compression ratio and subsequent decompression performance, so I used
those settings for a time. Nowadays, I would be more concerned with the time
taken to render a man page than in reducing the footprint of the installed
documentation.

--
Kerin Millar