Re: Proposed v2: an eqn keyword change: gfont -> gifont

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Proposed v2: an eqn keyword change: gfont -> gifont
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 14:37:51 +0100

Hi Branden,

> Further feedback is welcome.

I see groff's documentation has Roman numerals but roman fonts.
I try to parse roman as something+man.  :-)

>   Fonts
>     eqn uses up to three typefaces to set an equation: an italic face
>     for letters, a roman face for everything else, and a bold face.

If the Roman face is for everything else then it seems odd at this point
that bold is needed.

>     The defaults for these correspond to the groff font styles I, R,
>     and B, respectively, using the font family that is current when
>     the equation is set.
>     The primitives gifont, grfont, and gbfont assign a groff typeface
>     to each of eqn's faces.
>     Control which characters are treated as letters (and therefore set
>     in italics) with the chartype primitive described above.
>     A character assigned the type letter is set in italics; a digit is
>     set in roman.

It's only at the end that everything else is probably seen to be ‘digits’.

    eqn uses three typefaces to set an equation: italic, Roman, and bold.
    Set them to a groff font style with primitives gifont, grfont, and gbfont.
    The defaults are I, R, and B in the current font family.
    The chartype primitive sets a character's type, see above.
    A letter character is set in italics.
    A digit character in Roman.
    The bold font is used by the bold primitive.

--
Cheers, Ralph.