Re: Formatting difference with 1.23.0.rc3 (ms)

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Formatting difference with 1.23.0.rc3 (ms)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 14:11:17 -0500

At 2023-04-08T19:38:49-0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Yes.  Technically, this changed behavior is the result of a bug fix to
> bring our rendering of ms documents more in line with AT&T troff ms, and
> we don't ordinarily document bug fixes in the NEWS file.
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?62688
>
> But since you're the second person to have raised this issue to the
> mailing list, it seems it might be worth adding a NEWS item about it.
> So I'll see about that.

Here is my proposed text.

+o The s (ms) macro package now enables the formatter's "no-space mode"
+  after ending displays (`DE`) and equations (`EQ`); this is to improve
+  the fidelity of rendering of historical ms(7) documents such as
+  Kernighan & Cherry's "Typesetting Mathematics".  This change means
+  that display distance spacing (the `DD` register) overrides paragraph
+  spacing (the `PD` register) instead of accumulating with it.

Any suggestions?

Also, I'll note that stacking up `LP` and/or `PP` in immediate sequence
does in fact still work to increase inter-paragraph distance, as long as
a display is not adjacent, but I am dubious of the technique.  See
attachment.  If you want to precisely measure the amount of space
between paragraphs, the `PD` register is the way to achieve it.