Re: pdfroff in groff 1.23.0.rc3 changes compared to 1.22.4

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: pdfroff in groff 1.23.0.rc3 changes compared to 1.22.4
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 17:48:36 +0100

Hi John,

> I've always just called it "ditroff" (*"device-independent troff
> [output]"*), with *.dit and *.ditroff being my typical choice of file
> extensions.

The ‘dit’ suffix is probably what I've seen the most.

> I'm aware that it's a reappropriation of an obsolete name for all
> post-Osanna troff(1) implementations, but its meaning is clearer to
> readers familiar with the term *"device-independent [gt]roff output"*.

Yes.  Though it contains device-dependent troff output.  :-)

> The names "grout" and "trout", OTOH, are a lot less obvious.

Also, the ‘out’ seems wrong.  So many files are the output of something
yet don't have that in their suffix.  a.out seems to have that honour as
it nabbed it first.

The file contains a rendering of the troff for a device.
In case that helps trigger better suggestions.

--
Cheers, Ralph.