Re: pdfroff in groff 1.23.0.rc3 changes compared to 1.22.4

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: pdfroff in groff 1.23.0.rc3 changes compared to 1.22.4
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 23:46:52 +1000

Hi Branden,

> I know I will be mightily tempted to encourage others to adopt the
> practice, in large part because "device-independent [gt]roff] output" is
> far too long to type or speak repeatedly.

I've always just called it "ditroff" (*"device-independent troff [output]"*),
with *.dit and *.ditroff being my typical choice of file extensions. I'm
aware that it's a reappropriation of an obsolete name for all post-Osanna
troff(1) implementations, but its meaning is clearer to readers familiar
with the term *"device-independent [gt]roff output"*. The names "grout" and
"trout", OTOH, are a lot less obvious. Not to mention they'll be used
interchangeably and inconsistently à la nroff/groff/troff).