Re: pdfroff in groff 1.23.0.rc3 changes compared to 1.22.4

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: pdfroff in groff 1.23.0.rc3 changes compared to 1.22.4
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 21:26:11 -0500

At 2023-04-06T10:39:13+0000, Lennart Jablonka wrote:
> Then comes the noteworthy bit: Concatenate the troff output of all
> those separate documents and feed it all to the postprocessor at once,
> as in
>
>       troff -ms mainmatter.ms >mainmatter.trout 2>toc
>       { troff frontmatter && troff toc && cat mainmatter.trout;       } |
> gropdf
> >all.pdf
>
> That’s what I would do.

I must say I am delighted to see that it has occurred to someone else to
use the suffixes "trout" (and presumably "grout") for device-independent
troff and GNU roff output.

When I get around to my planned soup-to-nuts revision of groff_out(5), I
know I will be mightily tempted to encourage others to adopt the
practice, in large part because "device-independent [gt]roff] output" is
far too long to type or speak repeatedly.