Re: pdfroff in groff 1.23.0.rc3 changes compared to 1.22.4

From: Michał Kruszewski
Subject: Re: pdfroff in groff 1.23.0.rc3 changes compared to 1.22.4
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 18:13:16 +0000

Hi Peter,

I have once evaluated ms, mm and mom.
I have come from the Latex world after being sick of its bloat.
I was looking for something simple.
I know some differences between ms, mm and mom, but I do not really understand
why people did not want to cooperate to create a single macro package and
single program.
The *roff community is rather small.
Dividing it by providing multiple packages doing more or less the same, or
implementing multiple programs (groff/pdfroof for example) is not probably the
right move.
I do not want to learn and use ms, mm or mom depending on the type of the
document I write.
My impression was that ms is the most minimal and the simplest.
I can easily extend ms by defining my own macros or by writing Perl/Python
scripts.

Current pdf support in ms is far from being perfect.
However, I hope that one day it will be obvious that groff + ms is the way to
go.

Nevertheless, I admire your mom work.
You have probably invested hundreds or maybe even thousand of hours into it.

Best regards,
Michał Kruszewski

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.