Re: groff for epub/e-books (was: groff 1.22.4 mandb 2.11.2 man -H tbl no

From: Brian Inglis
Subject: Re: groff for epub/e-books (was: groff 1.22.4 mandb 2.11.2 man -H tbl not rendered)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 14:19:36 -0700

On 2023-02-23 09:02, Deri wrote:
On Thursday, 23 February 2023 15:13:03 GMT Brian Inglis wrote:
So, if some entrepreneur wants to fund me for a year or two to move this forward, shoot me an email. ;-)

See https://github.com/nabijaczleweli/gen-epub-book awk script
and packages asciidoc, docbook-utils, ebook-tools, htmldoc, poppler,
texinfo. There may even be an emacs mode for that!
I've hacked text into directories and zipped into an ebook, then edited the
epub/zip using gvim.

I use groff to produce pdfs suitable for viewing on a kindle, i.e. custom page size to suit the kindle screen and my eyesight! The text file is from gutenberg.org then I run a script to turn it into a troff file. This is an example (you need to transfer to the reader):-
http://chuzzlewit.co.uk/The%20Murder%20on%20the%20Links%20(Kindle).pdf

Kindles now support epubs (v3 I think) which provide a much better and nicer experience on an epaper (eink is a TM) ereader (especially hi res 2-300dpi) with packages above.

If you can produce X/HTML chapters, converting most symbolic entities to UTF-8, with gif/jpeg/png/svg images, generate the metadata, and zip it all up properly, you get an epub you can flip onto your ereader.

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry