Re: A version of fmt for troff files

From: Walter Alejandro Iglesias
Subject: Re: A version of fmt for troff files
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:25:07 +0100

Hi John,

On Feb 17 2023, John Gardner wrote:

> > https://en.roquesor.com/Downloads/fmtroff.c
> >

> Missed opportunity to call it "roffmt". ;-)

I didn't realize!  My code is even less elegant than the name I chose. :-)
You can still do this:

 $ cc fmtroff.c -o $HOME/bin/roffmt

> Anyway, I fed the program a macro package with the -n switch passed, and
> it... basically mangled the entire file. I take it that fmtroff is only
> designed to format prose, rather than Roff code (macros, et al)?

The '-n' option (present in OpenBSD version) formats *also* lines
beggining with a dot ('fmtroff -h' will show you the options.)  I
included that feature to use it with email.  Using '-t' or no option
should NOT touch anything in lines beggining with a dot character.

> Tested under OpenBSD and Linux.  You should be able to compile it under any
> > of these OSs.
> >

> Compiles without a hitch on macOS too, FYI.

OK, thank you for the feedback!

--
Walter