Re: macOS Terminal man page URL format

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: macOS Terminal man page URL format
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 22:44:22 -0600

At 2023-02-16T15:34:57+1100, John Gardner wrote:
> > ...wait.  Did you configure your groff build to use one of the
> > terminal devices as the default typesetter?  Or maybe you have
> > GROFF_TYPESETTER set a terminal device in the environment?
>
> I do, actually
> <https://github.com/Alhadis/.files/blob/bee70cfd0d9a2343b68fe83d61967610b3e66f9d/env.sh#L59>.
> It's set to utf8, which has historically been necessary on macOS to
> enable UTF-8 characters in man pages.

Hmm.  Not the level at which I'd solve the problem personally (I read
UTF-8-enriched man pages every day without setting GROFF_TYPESETTER),
but you're not doing anything unsupported or even discouraged.

> > If that starts dinging the bell, then what I need to do is add a "-T
> > ps" argument to these tests.
>
> Or unset/override pertinent environment variables before running the
> tests, which is How I'd Do Itâ„¢.

I don't agree; when writing a test suite, one should eliminate as many
confounding variables (in the experimental sense) as possible; I failed
to do so here.

The $64,000 question is whether unsetting GROFF_TYPESETTER and
re-running the test cures the failure.

$ (unset GROFF_TYPESETTER; make -j check)

Let me know, and I can land this fix.

...and get back to the more complicated problem I'm working (but maybe
in the morning).

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?63808