Re: macOS 12.6.3, static_assert, and vasnprintf compilation failure

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: macOS 12.6.3, static_assert, and vasnprintf compilation failure
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 21:42:09 +0100

[Dropping bug-gnulib CC]

G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> If users of macOS of recent vintage would like to pull groff Git HEAD
> and try a build, I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences.

The C/C++ part of the build now works fine on macOS 12.5.

It fails later, with

  GEN      font/devpdf/download
Can't use string ("") as an ARRAY ref while "strict refs" in use at
/Users/haible/groff-1.23.0.rc2.22-55d3/build/font/devpdf/util/BuildFoundries
line 102, <F> line 23.
make[2]: *** [font/devpdf/download] Error 25

Note: Rather than testers producing their own tarball, it's better if you
provide a tarball for testing. The reason is: what you will release
has some specific versions of Autoconf, Automake, Libtool, pkg.m4, and
includes some specific commit of Gnulib. If a tester tests something
different than what you will use in the release, there's some risk that
some packaging bug will be unnoticed.

So, please ask for testing on platform-testers again, when you see fit.

Bruno