Re: macOS Terminal man page URL format

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: macOS Terminal man page URL format
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 06:26:22 +1100

Hi Branden,

Having a configurable prefix/schema isn't going to cut it.

Then how about a callback? It could be called with the relevant parameters,
and authors can use plain ol' Roff to specify the hyperlink format.

but I have to say I really hate this and I want macOS to get its act
> together.

I think we're on two different pages here. That last list of URL formats
was intended to illustrate the potential for variation amidst software
authors. It's very easy for somebody to "invent" their own man page URL
scheme, one that may be partially- or wholly-incompatible with other,
better-established schemes.

Ultimately, only Terminal.app's scheme (x-man-page://) should be taken
seriously by Groff.

apropos(1) is not in groff's department.

Right, sorry. I keep getting my wires crossed when discussing man(1) and
Groff at onceā€¦