Re: [platform-testers] verification instructions for groff 1.23.0.rc2

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] verification instructions for groff 1.23.0.rc2
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 09:20:40 -0600

Hi Dagobert,

Thank you for the report!  I believe you have identified a non-POSIX-
conforming shell and grep utilty on Solaris 10.  Judging by the domain
name from which you're sending your email, I might be recapitulating
facts already known to you below.

At 2023-02-06T10:35:56+0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> >> groff 1.23 release candidate 2, 1.23.0.rc2, is now available
[...]
> I just tested on Solaris 10 with Sun Studio and encounter some
> problems with the test scripts, e.g.
> contrib/mm/tests/LT_SP_AU_without_AT_works.sh:
>
> - on Solaris /bin/sh is not bash

Indeed not.  I've tried to write my test scripts in expectation of a
POSIX-conforming shell and utilities.

>   and does not understand subshell invocation with $(cmd).

Any POSIX-confirming shell should understand "$(cmd)",[1] going back to
Issue 4[2] (1994) at least.  But the default shell in Solaris before
version 11 is notorious for non-coonformance.[3]

> - the /usr/bin/grep on Solaris does not understand -Eqx as used e.g.
>   in contrib/mm/tests/LT_SP_AU_without_AT_works.sh

Here again I brazenly assumed POSIX-conforming utilities.[4]

>   It would be good to use a replacement of $SHELL with the test
>   scripts as automake inputs.  This would allow packagers to choose a
>   usable shell here without syntactic replacement.

>   It would be nice to use $GREP here in a similar way as the shell
>   above.

I will look into how easily that may be done.  I don't see anything
directly on point in the GNU Automake manual[5], so if you can point out
a working exhibit--preferably one that won't mean having to rename 160+
test scripts in Git to have an ".in" suffix--it might help me out.

Thank you again for the report.

[1] https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html
    (ยง 2.6.3)
[2] https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xcu/chap2.html#tag_001_006_003