Re: words (and commands) that I learnt because of Branden (was: preferre

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: words (and commands) that I learnt because of Branden (was: preferred /proc/<pid>/xxx style?)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:05:11 +0100

Hi John,

On 12/10/22 00:42, John Gardner wrote:
      Your emails are the reason I know and often use dict(1).  Lol.

Branden's e-mails are the reason I consult the Oxford English dictionary far more often than I'm comfortable admitting. Either I'm learning obscure words I know I'll never remember when I need them,^[1] <#snarky-footnote-1> or I'm asking myself /"wait, what does /X/mean, again…?"/, chiefly because I don't read enough (non-technical) literature. :-(

And even when he /isn't/ filling my notes file I use to horde definitions of fancy-sounding words I probably won't ever use, I'm always admiring how he manages to balance cheeky humour with informative, expressive writing that brings the Camel Book's writing style to mind (seriously, when discussing dry topics like typesetting and Unix orthography, a sense of humour makes digestion /so/ much easier).

Also, "/vituperator/" still reigns as my favourite Brandenism^[2] <#if-you-can-read-this-gmail-forgot-to-sanitise-my-fragment-identifier> to date.

^[1] Or awkwardly pigeonhole them into discussions when I do.
^[2] An unintentional extension to a reader's vocabulary, often when you least expect it. ^[3] There's no third footnote, I just wanted to point out how infectious Branden's writing style is.

I couldn't stop laughing with [3]! How many times we've read a footnote with no corresponding reference... :D

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>