Re: [groff] 15/39: [grog]: Drop relic code and comments.

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] 15/39: [grog]: Drop relic code and comments.
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 18:23:25 +1100

> Perl 5.6.1 is incredibly old (April 2001).  I cannot find any evidence of
> any current distribution supporting it.

IIRC, declaring a program version is recommended practice, as future
versions of Perl may have different defaults w.r.t opt-in behaviours like `use
warnings` and `use strict`. The `use v5.6.1;` directive instructs Perl to
assume the defaults for that particular version, ensuring no accidental
breakage.